Thursday, December 18, 2008

The "bad" word

I rarely, if ever, swear in front of my parents. It's just something we never did in our house. I remember one Christmas morning getting a "boom box" and it came with a ton of batteries and I must have said, "Jesus Christ, do you think you got enough batteries?" That brought Christmas morning to a standstill. Vivid memory.

I'm trying to control the potty mouth in my own family now. There is an occasional outburst, but usually I do okay, so I was surprised when we were out to dinner recently and my son blurted out,

"Go ahead, Mommy. Say the bad word you say when you get mad."

I had no idea what he was talking about.

My daughter chimed in with,

"You mean Cucka?"

(Hey, it's better than "shit", right?)

Him: "Nope. The other words!"

Me: "You mean, Darn?"

Him: "Nope, it's in my head. It's going to come out."

Me: "What is it?"

Him: "Shut up."

Phew! I'm not doing so bad controlling the potty mouth after all.

No comments: