Sunday, December 7, 2008

The morning after

The kid's family birthday party went over with only minor injuries and two very tired children on Saturday night. They succeeded in getting new crayons, some warm clothes, PJ's, coloring books, movies and a variety of fun toys. However, the most baffling gift for my son was his huge bucket of peanut butter filled pretzels from his Grampy.



The morning after the party he was still perplexed, yet devouring, this unusual gift. When my kids visit my parents in Maine, they run to the cabinet to eat some of Grampy's peanut butter filled pretzels. So, after pulling the large container out of the birthday bag, he ran over to his Grampy and gave him a hug, then pointing his finger at him he said,

"Grampy! You're not supposed to give me food for my birthday. You're supposed to give me TOYS!"

The next morning he looked at me and very cautiously said,

"Mommy, I don't think I like it when people give me food and clothes for my birthday."

To which I responded,

"Of course you like it. It keeps your belly full and your body warm. It would be no fun to play with toys if you were hungry and cold."

"Oh yeah. I do like those presents."

It's so easy to sway the mind of a 4 year old. The 6 year old - that's a whole other story!

2 comments:

Reff said...

Whoah! Never have I seen 'The Force' used so effectively!

"These aren't the presents you're looking for."

Strong the Force is with this one.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

My favorite is how kids open a box full of clothes and throw them over their shoulder, like "NEXT"!

And, that Reff guy is odd. Playing too much Star Wars on the PS2 methinks.