Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Morning runner

You'd never know it by my blog or my schedule, but I did manage to complete the first week of C25K training and I discovered something very important about myself - I can't run at night.

Squeezing in a piddly 3 days at the gym last week was almost impossible.  Power outages. Holidays. Weather. You name it, it all seemed to get in my way.  But I did manage to do it and the day of the power outage I realized I should never, ever run at the end of my day.

By the time I hit the gym at 8:00 p.m. on April Fools (what a joke!) I was tired, full, and not at all in the mind set to try and walk/jog/walk/jog/walk/jog.  About 10 minutes in I was ready to shout obsenities and jump off the treadmill.

Then I realized something else, I don't follow directions very well.

Where does it say "increase your incline" in the C25K book? No where. So why did I do it that night?  Don't know.

I think because I've been doing the elliptical for so long at a higher Level, and when I did incorporate "speed walking" to my routine I always increased the incline to feel a better burn, I figured it was all the same with this program...but this jogging thing is a whole new adventure and pushing the button to a 3 incline was stupid.

So on day 3 of week 1 I kept the incline at the lowest possible option.  I felt in control. I jogged more than I walked. I jogged longer than the suggested 20 minutes. I jogged at a pace of 5.0! It was also in the morning and apparently my tired, over 40 year old legs like that much better than trying to jog so close to my old lady bed time.

Tomorrow - day 1 of week 2!



1 comment:

Julie said...

Awesome! I am repeating week 1 since life got in my way. I am on day 3 of week one...

Did you do any reading about running on a treadmill vs outside? If you want to actually run a 5 K outside the 3% incline is supposed to mimic the pain of running on pavement!

But yeah, that sucks.