Friday, September 11, 2009

Welcome Bumble

If you have small kids, here is a bit of advice. Don't let them name your car. Because if they do, inevitably when the transmission dies, or you trade it in, they will cry. I've seen it happen twice in my life.

I blame the "car naming" on Little Einsteins. If Leo hadn't keep calling his flying ship "Rocket", then my car never would have been named the same thing. And now that our "Rocket" is being traded in for a new SUV, the happy news of getting a new car turned into my daughter sobbing at dinner last night.

It went something like this:

"So, we have some fun news for you guys."

Eyes wide open "What? Tell us", they both shouted.

"Well, when Mommy picks you up tomorrow from school tomorrow, it will be in a *white* car", I said.

Faces dropped. Eyes rolled.

"I thought you were going to say we were going someplace fun", exclaimed my daughter.

"Sorry", I said, "but I just wanted you to know so when you don't see Rocket tomorrow you aren't confused."

Eyes welled with tears.

"Why? Where is Rocket going?", she asked.

"Well, I have to give it to the car man so I can get my new car."

Sob.

I actually thought my son would cry because he is not a fan of change. But it was my sensitive red head who did most of the crying. Until she realized the portable DVD player comes with us in the new car. Oh, and that cars don't go to car heaven because they are only things and not people or animals.

Cripes.

So, this morning a name had to be chosen for the new white car. Much to my daughter's dismay - who was voting for snowflake - we chose Bumble. Like the big white, hairy creature from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Apparently, I learned nothing from what just happened and in 5 years when Bumble is probably too small and needs to be traded in, should I expect an 11 year old to react this way again?



**kitchen update** The cabinets have arrived! But the walls still aren't up. Big projects this weekend.

================================================
I also wanted to post about my thoughts on the 9/11 anniversary, but given the cloudy, cool, damp day ahead of us, I decided to quietly remember by myself, as I will never forget.

1 comment:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Belly once cried that I threw a bread bowl out to the birds. BREADY!!!!! She screamed when she saw them pecking away at it.

So, yeah, I imagine a named car would do them in. Thankfully, we haven't yet personified it.

Can't wait to see Bumble.