Friday, May 7, 2010

Thank you Mom

We've been busy. Busy in a "how-did-it-get-to-be-9-at-night?" kind of way. Busy in a "when-is-the-last-time-the-kids-took-a-shower?" kind of way. You get it.

So while I had a minute I wanted to take this opportunity to say Happy Mothers Day to all the wonderful, talented, warm, loving, caring, generous, fabulous, stupendous Moms I know out there!


May you have a relaxing, stress free, kids-get-along-all-day  kind of day....I'm sorry, I can't type that without laughing...but you know what I mean...

And to my Mom, a very special thank you.  Now that my kids are school age (and trying to insert their independence like a bull in a china shop) I sit and reflect on my childhood a lot more and I think, "What did my Mom do when I was this age?"  And more often than not the answer is: she let us be kids.

She would quietly stand in the background as my brother and I fumbled through childhood.  She didn't always butt in, tell us the answer to every question or try to control our every decision.  She would watch - I always knew she was watching - but would only emerge when she knew we needed a hug, a band-aid or a kiss. Sure, there were fights, stomping, and door slamming - but what I remember most from my childhood are the laughs, giggles and smiles.

So thank you mom for mothering.  Thank you for letting us get dirty without freaking out; for keeping treats on hand for when we needed a pick-me-up; for providing for us even when it was hard to provide for yourself; for saying "no" when we wanted to hear "yes" and especially for teaching us the value of respect, love and compassion.

Happy Mothers Day. I love you.

Your Daughter



No comments: