Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years is not my thing...

I did the Times Square "thing" in 1992 when I lived in the city, and that was the last time I stood outside in frigid temps to countdown a new year (unless you count the Boston Common fingernail incident several years later, but we'll leave that story alone for now as I don't remember much of it). New Years Eve is just not my thing!!


But this new year, for some reason, I felt a little something lift off my shoulders. I can't explain it. It was a renewed faith or spirit. Maybe it is hope for the changes ahead in our country with our new President elect. Or the dreams I have for my family as my kids have reached an age where we can communicate and share laughs and stories and words aren't a mix of simple goos and gaas? Or perhaps it is because I feel happy in my shell and 2009 will have me greeting that once-feared age of 40 with open arms and a renewed sense of self.


But I think all in all it is that I am so INCREDIBLY fortunate to have two beautiful, healthy children, a husband that still laughs at me in my goofy moments and sends glances my way that say "I will always love you". I have a family that hugs and kisses us to death when we all get together, friends that are really my extended family, and food, shelter and clothing on our backs no matter how hard times may get.

If you read this it's because we share a bond of some sort, be it by blood, internet access or YEARS of friendship, so my thanks, my love and my best wishes in 2009. Let hopes and dreams guide you every day.



~Christine

1 comment:

Whirlwind said...

I can't imagine standing out in Times Square last night. Brrrr. I even crashed at our friends house so I didn't have to go out in the cold to go home last night. After all, the kids were staying over anyway and Husband was working.

Happy New Year!