Monday, January 4, 2010

Taking 2010 one day at a time

New Years resolutions for twenty-ten: Weight loss challenge. Get out of debt. More time with the family. Volunteer in my community more. Find my true calling.

If you are reading blah, blah, blah - you're right.

Starting a new year tends to lend itself to setting up goals and expectations that are usually abandoned by Valentine's Day. I'm sure plenty of people can tackle a list of "to-dos" like a pro and cross things off at record pace over 12 months. I opt to sit back and let the days decide how life will turn out.

In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed 2009, and hope that 2010 can even come close to that year. I mean, it wasn't the best financially to see our retirement shrunk to pennies. Or the anxiety that if the economy didn't turn around, we could be taking in roommates to help pay the mortgage. But when I think of the past year, I think of so many moments that gave me reason to pause and appreciate how fortunate I am - from my children, to two healthy parents, to time with my brother and in-laws who live far away.

So my new years resolution for 2010 is to live 2010 like it's just another year. Full of hope and moments that I can't always control, don't often expect, and have to appreciate no matter what they bring.

Bring it on. Now I have to get back to work, because this Internet access doesn't pay for itself...Happy New Year.

No comments: