Monday, September 22, 2008

Look Mommy, the bags!

At our house when we have the "big" TV on, it's normally set to Noggin so my kids can enjoy lots of fun, educational shows and I am assured that they have commercial-free time in front of the babysitter...I mean, TV. Noggin doesn't inundate them with ads for toys, fruit juices or sugary cereal.

On occasion we move them to a smaller TV that is only hooked up to a DVD player so Mommy can sit in front of the big TV and watch something called the News (or Access Hollywood). Again, when the kids are in front of the "movie TV" there are no commercials.

The other day I happened across a different channel on the big TV and my daughter stopped me in my tracks because it was The Fox and the Hound, which is one of her favorite movies. I thought it would be nice for them to see it on the big TV so I left it on and went about my business in the kitchen.

Apparently, it only took about 2 hours in front of this "Disney" channel for her little mind to be stuffed full of infomercials! She started rattling off all the cool things she saw on TV. Globes that water your plants. Bags that keep your veggies fresh. Bags that store things under the bed. Liquid drops that turn into plastic art. Hair braiding machines. The list goes on and on.

This weekend we ran to the local home good store and as we walked into the store Abby got all excited and shouted,

"Mommy! Mommy! Look! I can not believe it! It's those bags for under the bed!! I did not know they sold those here!"

That's just great. Almost 6 years of hard work to keep her shielded from the affects of TV commercials is now down the drain - or in this case - under the bed!!

No comments: