Sunday, July 27, 2008

Speaking of noses

Quick book update. Finished Love Walked In by Marisa De Los Santos. Wasn't the pick-me-up book I was hoping. A lot of analogies in the book reference black and white movies of generations gone by, and while I have nothing against them, I'm not a movie person in general so a lot of the moments slipped past me since I couldn't make the point of reference. I'm going to try a pure indulgence book this time and picked up Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger who also wrote The Devil Wears Prada.
==============================================

So the Feline and the Canine came nose to nose today through the thin baby gate that separates them. This morning, Coach got his first official glimpse of the little lady in the house but they didn't get too close. He got a treat for not barking uncontrollably at the sight of her. Good boy.

Later in the day, she came up from her basement retreat (she owns the basement playroom now) and put her nose right up to the gate as he sniffed from the kitchen side. Then she slowly turned around and walked back downstairs to claim her spot on a chair and probably do some licking of her paws. Coach immediately went to the spot where we keep his treats and sat patiently waiting for one - knowing he had been a good boy for not licking his chops and ripping through the gate.

After all this introducing is over, he'll probably have gained 20 lbs from the numerous rewards he'll get for not making her his dinner...but if I can spare the kids a glimpse of Animal Kingdom in action, it's worth the effort.

While we're on the subject of noses...don't read any more if boogers make you sick...I sat with my daughter this evening as she watched her favorite UK based cartoon, Charlie and Lola, and I read the Sunday paper and out of the corner of my eye I watched the whole thing unfold, but was still amazed.

At 5 1/2 it's no surprise tissues are not on the forefront of her mind when she has a critter stuck up her nose, but while she thought I was engrossed in the paper, I was actually grossed out watching the finger go up, then the first lick, then the investigation, then the decision to stick the said critter under my coffee table!!!!!

While I tried not to gag, I also said in a low and firm voice,

"I keep tissues in the family room so you can use them when you need them, and I think you need one right now."

She quickly retrieved her deposit, laughed a scared laugh, and got a tissue from the end table. It made it's way to the trash bin.

Now, this is not a surprising story to many of you - but there is always that hope in the back of a parent's mind that their kids will adopt all proper social manners by the age of 6 months...we all know that only happens in the movies.

No comments: