Thursday, July 24, 2008

Up, up and away

I booked my flight to London last Friday. I leave on Tuesday night at 21:30 p.m. I arrive at 8:45 a.m. Wed. I spend Wed south of London at meetings. Sleep. Wake up and spend Thursday at meetings. Go back to Heathrow at 19:35 p.m. Thursday and fly home.

36 hours in the United Kingdom. So, now I can't sleep. It's on my mind all the time. How will I sleep for 6 hours on a plane, wake up, look refreshed and not like the spawn of the devil? I need 8 hours of sleep, it's just a fact!

Is there some place to change so I don't have to sleep in the same thing I head to the office in? How can I possibly function as a human all day Wed? How will I manage to convince my body it's okay to wake up at 2 a.m. "its time" on Thursday to start to function again?

Most importantly, where will I find my morning "coffee" - the 32 oz big gulp of Diet Coke? They serve those skinny little cans over there - and they aren't COLD on ice!!

That's just the partial list of things that has me tossing and turning at night. I'm most afraid of flying over water because once you leave, there aren't any airports to land at if you have problems. At least cross-country you can call ahead to Oklahoma airport and say "We're coming in". Hard to do that flying over the Atlantic.

So please excuse me if you speak with me this week - I may be yawning a bit as the anxiety has me getting less than 8 hours of sleep at night in anticipation of this upcoming trip. It reminds me of being pregnant when you're body wakes you up every 2 hours towards the end - just to get you accustom to the nights to follow.

1 comment:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I actually kind of like flying over the water. I have this unnatural belief that the plane would sort of skate over the water like a sea plane. I flew to London about 10 years ago and it was quite pleasant. Blankets, hot wash cloths, free booze. I wonder if they still do that?