Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Come out, come out, wherever you are...

I have house guests this week. Well, house guests for 11 days to be exact. Growing up we never had house guests because everyone lived so close by that they just went home at the end of the day. This is very new for me.

Since it is my in-laws that are visiting I will resist the incredible urges to blog that have consumed me for days, other than to say the kids are thrilled to have Grandma and Papa for a visit (it's been over 2 years) and hubby and I are enjoying the homemade Puerto Rican dinners AND the built in babysitters so we can go out and celebrate our anniversary tonight :)

However, one phenomenon that has taken place since their arrival is that my kitchen items are playing hide and seek. Just like any other homemaker, there is a method to my madness in keeping all the mixing bowls together, the cups together and plates organized by size.

And while I truly appreciate not having to worry about a dinner menu every night, it is turning into quite an experience trying to find my housewares at the start of each day. My husband never uses our dishwasher and now I know why - neither do his parents. At the end of each meal they quickly gather up the dirty items and begin washing and drying with precision. If I serve more than 4 plates of food, it all gets dropped in the trusty Maytag. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, really!!

It's just that my mother in-law puts things away in places that I never imagined they would fit. A random cup on one shelf when the rest are stored some place else. Bowls mixed with saucepans. Hmmmm...that big bowl really fits in that little drawer?

Hubby and I have been laughing about it as we discover things placed all over the kitchen. She is a very proud woman and would rather find a home for something than to ask where it goes. I'm sure my favorite serving spoon will show up soon. Five more days...

1 comment:

Fairly Odd Mother said...

LOL! I can just imagine how long it'll be before you get your kitchen back 'in order'! Happy Anniversary too!