Thursday, August 14, 2008

Good luck, Santa

So I know it's hard to believe, but I have begun Christmas shopping!

"WHAT???"

I can hear you screaming it now. But with two kids born in early December, I need to get as much finished as early as possible so I can divide up the goods to spread throughout the month without tail spinning into a panic at Thanksgiving that I have nothing for gifts!!

As some of you know, we went to Santa's Village this summer where my kids met Santa and put in their early requests.

My son told me he was going to ask Santa for a real excavator. You know, the kind that dig up the earth at construction sites. We managed to get him down to a toy fire truck by the time he sat in Santa's lap. My daughter wouldn't share her request, which panicked me.

Santa: "Can you think of anything you'd like for Christmas?"

Abby: "Yup. I'd like Bambi's Dad and Bambi's Mom. But not the soft kind. The toy kind. You know which ones I mean?"

Santa: "OK. Bambi's Mom and Dad, huh?"

Abby: "Yup" (huge grin)

WTF??? I had forgotten that odd request and stupidly asked her this morning if she remembered what she asked Santa for - and as if she was sitting on his lap at that moment she whipped out the same request and it all came flooding back to me.

What is she talking about? And searching "Bambi toys" on eBay and other places is not turning up anything remotely similar to Bambi's dead mother and distant father (for those that have seen the movie!).

At least I can blame it on Santa when he doesn't deliver...I'll be the bad guy when she's 16 and asks for a car and I don't deliver on that one, either!

2 comments:

daly said...

Hi Christine!
Great blogging - the kiddies look so adorable and happy! I love "For my son" - maybe since Liam is still so new at our house!
Good luck with that Santa request, that's a trip!
Emer

Fairly Odd Mother said...

OK, I'll give you some slack b/c of the birthday thing but, yikes! I can't even imagine shopping for Christmas now.