Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sleepover #2

5:45 p.m

Me: "OK. Have fun and I'll be back to pick up Alex in a little while."

The neighbors hosting the big sleepover last night graciously allowed my son to stay for dinner and play for a little while so I could have some time to myself - my daughter was going to attempt to sleepover at their house.

7:15 p.m.

Me: "Hello. I'm here. How was dinner?"

Abby: "Alex has to go now. Take him. He's going home."

Me: "Yes. I will take him home. You be good tonight and have fun. I'll see you in the morning...Abby...Abby...(she continues to play in the other room)...Abby can I have a hug good-bye?"

I think she came in, dress head to toe in princess gear, leaned in towards me and ALMOST made contact before she was running back into the play room. Wow. That was embarrassing. Last week K was full of love for her family when she was at our house. Ouch.

So I left. Alex and I hung out together and then I set up his room with a sleeping bag like he was having a sleepover and we stayed up together until almost 9:00 reading books and just hanging.

I finally got to the couch around 9:15 to watch the Olympics and within 30 seconds I was asleep. SOUND ASLEEP.

RRRRRiiinnnnnggggggg (how do you describe a phone ringing these days?)

10:00 p.m.

K's Mom: "She's coming home."

Me: "No way!!...I mean, okay."

10:04 p.m.

Truck pulls up in the driveway in the rain - out hops my exhausted little girl.

Me: "How come you wanted to come home?"

Abby, hesitantly: "Because I missed you?"

I think she was asking if that was a good excuse, but I think deep down she's very much like me and NOTHING compares to sleeping in your own bed...not even a princess sleeping bag at your best friend's house.

We've decided this little experiment will be known as "movie night", since neither of the girl's actually fell asleep at the others house and basically they just wanted to have dinner and watch a movie before returning home. Works for me...

1 comment:

You Missed Your Calling said...

This reminds me of the time that my son slept over our neighbor's house, decided that he wanted to come, rang the doorbell to our house and knocked on the door and I slept through the whole thing. He had to go back to our neighbor's house for the night.