Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I wanna be a rock star

I have a slight obsession with a certain rock star and I think I may be pushing that obsession on my children.

As a kid, growing up in my house meant being surrounded by a variety of Top 40 music from disco to rock n' roll. It was my Dad's job to sell 45's, cassettes and albums (and eventually those funny little shiny discs) so we would always sample the next potential hit on his souped up stereo system and then wait for it to make it on the radio station. "It pays the bills", as Dad would say. We'd sample the latest Donna Summer hit, or the next supposed smash by some band that called themselves Bon Jovi. "Just wait...they're going to be huge." Dad was always right.

And every time the band KISS would release a new album, my brother would rock out. And every time Barry Manillow would croon on the radio my Mom would dance around the kitchen. And every time Andy Gibb came on...well, we can save that for another blog.

But now that I am on the borderline of being a stalker of Matchbox Twenty and their lead singer Rob Thomas, I have inadvertently passed my Top 40 obsession on to my kids. And in particular my son. He has recently exclaimed he wants to grow up to be a rock star like Rob Thomas and is even putting on Rob Thomas concerts in our living room...only he insists on playing the drums and I keep reminding him Rob sings and plays piano or guitar. His response,

"I'm the new Rob Thomas."

Go for it, kid. I'll go to ALL your concerts for sure!!! My daughter has taken a liking to the new Katy Perry song "I kissed a girl." And while I am a HUGE equal opportunity person, I'm afraid that she's going to start kindergarten reciting the lyrics that go,

"I kissed a girl and I liked it. The taste of her cherry chapstick."

Did I mention she's heading to Catholic School?

No comments: