Tuesday, November 18, 2008

PTOhhhhhh

Phhheeeewwwwwwww. Can you hear me letting out the world's longest sigh? I did it. I went to my first PTO meeting. Say, what? I know. Crazy. School has been in session since Sept but it seems all the other meetings fell on nights when I had to travel 2 hours back and forth to my office. But tonight I promised myself I'd go. I'd walk into the school with a smile and listen. Just listen.

I spoke. I spoke. Why would I speak? Ugh. First off I walk in and the school's assistant shouts out,

"Oh hey! It's Abigail's Mother. You know Abigail. The girl who's always in the office."

Principal: "Oh, Abigail. Yes, she spends a lot of time with us, doesn't she? She was telling me today that if you get two check marks on the board in class then 'you're outta there'"

Before you start judging her, she sits in the office every afternoon waiting for the bus to take her to the after school program!!

Then they started talking about the items on the fundraising horizon and the PTO President kept talking to me. Like, right at me. As if no one else was in the room. How could I sit and be quiet?? I felt like I was in second grade and I couldn't see the chalkboard and Mrs. Brown used to keep talking and I couldn't see what was on the board so I didn't know what she was talking about and I would panic and suddenly someone realized I needed glasses!! Sorry - elementary school flashback.

So, I started talking back - since she was only talking to me. I didn't want to be rude! She was looking right at me the whole time. And since now everyone knows I'm Abby's Mom, I couldn't let her down.

Thanks to our intimate back and forth, I have to now convince my new neighbor who owns an Edible Arrangements store to come to our Christmas Fair and somehow I think I'm going to be called upon to wrap Christmas gifts at the Mall to raise money - I am the world's WORST PRESENT WRAPPER!!!! My edges all bunch up and I just slap a bunch of tape on it to keep it from flopping open. I've decided I'm going to volunteer hubby for that one, he does good wrapping.

So, I survived the panic attack on the way over. I was surprised, and pleased, with how well they've done with recent fundraisers - and now, in my mind and in my heart, I *feel* like I'm an active mother for my school age daughter. Working full-time has kept me from some of the things in her school life, but I can overcome my own insecurities and nervousness to get more involved. But I think next time when they ask for suggestions, I may suggest serving cheese and crackers and wine - that might help with the attendance!!

No comments: